All sides were smiling Monday as the NFL and NFLPA announced they had come to terms on a new collective bargaining agreement. And with that, it’s finally time for some football.
"It’s been a long time coming," Commissioner Roger Goodell said. "Football is back and that’s the great news for everybody."
The Rams, as well as the rest of the league will be allowed to open their facilities to players who want to come in for physicals and/or conditioning on Tuesday at 9 a.m. CST. They will open training camp on Friday with the first full practice likely to come Saturday.
Listed below are the important dates to know in the coming week or so.
- Tonight: The league will publish the 2011 free agency list at 5 p.m. CST.
- Tomorrow: At 9 a.m., players can come to the Russell Training Center for physicals and/or voluntary strength and conditioning. The trade market will also open at that time. In addition, teams can begin negotiating contracts with their drafted rookies as well as sign undrafted free agents.
Teams can also begin negotiating with their own free agents as well as other clubs’ free agents. Teams cannot sign any of those players at that time but can begin discussions.
- Wednesday: Training camp opens for all 10 teams who have a preseason game on Aug. 11. Those teams are Arizona, Baltimore, Dallas, Denver, Jacksonville, New England, Oakland, Philadelphia, San Diego and Seattle.
- Thursday: Training camp opens for all 10 teams that have a preseason game on Aug. 12. Those teams are Atlanta, Cincy, Detroit, Kansas City, Miami, New Orleans, Pittsburgh, San Francisco, Tampa Bay and Washington.
At 3:01 CST on Thursday, the waiver wire will open for business.
- Friday: Training camp opens for all 10 teams that have a preseason game on Aug. 13. In addition to the Rams, those teams are Buffalo, Carolina, Chicago, Cleveland, Green Bay, Indianapolis, Minnesota, the Giants and Tennessee.
At 5 p.m. CST, clubs can sign or extend offers to all free agents. Those players can also begin visiting franchises and cities or have try outs.
Any free agent that signs with a club will not be allowed to practice with his new team until August 4 but will be required to stay with the club and participate in meetings, classroom work and any other non physical activities with the team.
- August 4: The beginning of the new league year at 3:01 CST. All teams must be under the salary cap at this time.
Note: The Rams cannot hold a padded practice until Monday, August 1. In addition, they will not hold an actual practice until Saturday as Friday is for reporting, physicals and meetings.
- Details on camp and which practices will be open to the public will be released as soon as possible.