After each media session, Quotes and Notes will bring you what was said, who said it, and what it means for your Los Angeles Rams. Here’s what you should know from Wednesday, Aug. 14.
“They’ve been great. Weddle in particular, just finding his dialogue throughout practice and throughout the week, trying to get a better understanding of what they’re doing, then I’ll ask him what he sees.”
– QB Jared Goff
- Veteran additions to Los Angeles’ defense this offseason, LB Clay Matthews and especially S Eric Weddle are also proving to be a valuable resource on the other side of the ball, contributing to Goff’s development.
- According to Goff, the conversations with Weddle are a regular occurrence, happening as often as in between plays during practice.
- Goff said Weddle has been a critical component to his growth as a quarterback, allowing him to gain a better understanding of defenses and what they’re trying to do.
The Rams return from Oakland to practice in Thousand Oaks, Calif. ahead of the team's departure to Hawaii for preseason game 2 vs. the Dallas Cowboys.
“He has seamlessly and naturally become a leader because of the way he goes about his business just being Jared Goff, and I think that’s what resonates with his teammates.”
– HC Sean McVay
- In another nod toward Goff’s growth, McVay said Goff taking the next and making the Rams his team has already happened.
- McVay also credited Goff’s authenticity and natural improvement from how he approaches each day for him getting to this point.
- Goff has started all 38 regular season games in first three NFL seasons, amassing 9,581 career yards passing with 65 touchdowns during that time. He was also named to the Pro Bowl in each of his last two seasons.
“Blake looked great. I thought he did a good job.”
– QB Jared Goff
- With Goff resting, backup quarterback and offseason acquisition Blake Bortles got the start and made his Rams debut in the preseason opener against the Raiders.
- Goff noted how well Bortles spread the ball around, completed passes and moved the ball downfield as things that stood out to him from the pair of series Bortles played on Saturday.
- Bortles may get another chance to show what he’s capable of this Saturday against the Dallas Cowboys if McVay chooses to rest Goff for the second straight preseason game.